This time last year I don’t think I’d ever have thought I was one of those people who would have an evening routine. I used to be one of those ‘oh I’ll just sit in my room all evening, wash my face and then hop into bed’ kind of people. In all honesty I couldn’t tell you when that changed exactly. I believe it was around the time that my skin began to get progressively worse… Then all of a sudden, boom. Here I am with a half an hour long evening routine that seems to be working for me at the minute.
Current skin update:
Admittedly I have completely forgotten if I’ve updated you on my current skin situation. Anyways here it goes: As you may know I suffer from acne. (Annoying yes) I had visited my GP back in April and was prescribed this cream called Differin and some tablets to help try to calm my spots down. As usual they said to try the newly prescribed treatments out for two months and then revisit. So I did.
Throughout the short period of trying the cream out I repeatedly had days where my skin would be red and blotchy. Obviously for a normal person this would be a sign to stop using the cream. Me being me however, I ignored it and continued to use the cream, desperate to improve my skin at whatever cost.
Two months passed of on and off ‘blotchyness’ and I eventually returned to see my GP and asked to switch it out for something new as Differin was just simply not working for me.
I was prescribed this little bingo dapper like medicine called ‘Zineryt’, which you’re supposed to rub all over your face or other affected areas twice a day. So far, so good. I’ve definitely seen improvements in my skin overall. Granted I still get new spots buttttt there’s definitely less of them now than there has been for such a long time. My skin is VERY scarred. As you’ll know if you’ve seen any of my Youtube videos >> here << my face is a red dotty mess, 99% of which are red marks / acne scars.
Okay enough of that, on with the routine (!!)
- I usually begin my evening routine by washing my face. I am back using the trusty Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit face wash that I have talked about countless times. It’s always been reliable and every time I’ve used it for long periods of time, my skin has seemed to improve. – I am currently on the hunt for a face wash with Salicylic acid to try out, but I’ve not seen any just yet… (I’ve also not looked that hard haha)
- Once I have washed my face I usually then will apply a facemask. Which facemask exactly, will vary depending on what I have in the house at the time. Recently I’ve been using the Mario Badescu Calma Mask, as well as the Silvering Powder.
- Once the facemask has dried I then will wash it off using warm water. Using a hot towel or flannel I will then begin to press down on my face to open my pores before washing my face again for a second time and then rinsing my face with cold water.
- When my face is as clean as it can possibly be I’ll head out of the bathroom and back into my bedroom where I spray the Mario Badescu Rose Water all over my face and let it dry. I have spoken about the rose water before >> here << but I’ve since stopped using it as much throughout the day and purely use it after washing my face both in the morning and evenings.
- Once it has dried I then apply the ‘Zineryt’ I spoke about earlier to my skin. Usually after washing my face I would apply moisturiser but I don’t do this in the evening as I’m not sure whether the Zineryt would work as well if it was applied on top of a layer of moisturiser.
- When that has dried I finish off my evening by dotting any spots / blemishes with my long term favourite – Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, to help dry up any existing spots and also prevent ones I can tell are trying to make their way out onto my face.
What’s your evening routine?